In 1884 they moved the wooden school building to the south side of 1378 across from the Strain Store and near the Morrows Store. They changed the name to the Lucas School. In 1912 they tore it down and built a larger two story building for the Lucas School. This school remained as a central part of Lucas for many years. It closed in 1959 due to small enrollment. The building remained until May 8th, 1970 when it burned down.