These early settlers were farmers. They raised cotton and corn, wheat and cattle. Life was hard. Many women died in childbirth. Men married several times. Families were large. The settlers were very religious and started many congregations. Often schools were based out of these early churches. In 1845 William and Mary Syndusky Snider and Mr. and Mrs. James Anderson founded a Christian Congregation, which met from house to house and in a schoolhouse. When their attendance became too large, George Fitzhugh invited them to meet in his home. In 1847, they covenanted together to establish a congregation, meeting from house to house until after the Civil War ended and all the men could come home. This was to become Forest Grove Christian Church and its associated cemetery Fitzhugh Cemetery. The importance of this church and its impact on a community may be judged by the quality of its members and their dedication to an on-going community.
The Fitzhugh Cemetery behind the Forest Grove Christian Church is a treasure trove of Lucas history. The first burials in the Fitzhugh Cemetery were the son and daughter of Robert and Katharine Fitzhugh e.g. Columbus W. Fitzhugh, who died April 17, 1852, aged 15 months. and Isabell Fitzhugh, who died August 11, 1853, aged 10 months. Some of the other older graves are Julia A. McKinney, wife of E. McKinney who died June 23, 1856 and James G. Kerby, son of J. W. & M. R. Kerby who died on July 16, 1856. Eliza J. McKinney, the 2-year wife of John M. McKinney, died the year he donated the first tract of land for the church site, 1857.
There also lies Peter Lucas, who died Oct 16, 1858. Down near the east end lie the remains of the elder Gabriel Fitzhugh, who died Nov. 7, 1858, and who donated the cemetery site with the provision that he be buried under the big trees near the gate. Slaves are buried in the Fitzhugh Cemetery in the southeast corner. The headstones were leveled at some point and piled into a corner.