Much time later J. Ed McGee was the owner of the farm at Fitzhugh’s Mill. In 1923, he showed newspaper editor Walter B. Wilson around the farm and told him of the plans he had for the property.
Wilson wrote: “This farm is a portion of the homestead of Robert Fitzhugh, second sheriff of Collin County…. The old Fitzhugh custom mill was built 70 years ago at that point to get the advantage of the exceptionally good spring water located there. The old mill site and this wonderful spring of water are located on that portion of the Fitzhugh old homestead now owned by Mr. KcGee…
“But the old flour mill which was one of the very first mills located in North Texas was long since dismantled. The old stone foundation for the engine and the remnants of the old milling machinery are still to be seen on the premise, corroding and rusting from disuse and invincible tooth of time.”
W. T. Bevery, Robert Fitzhugh’s son-in-law and administrator of the Fitzhugh estate, was concerned with the corrosion of the mill machinery after the mill was shut down. He told the probate court that at the time he took charge of the estate there was “ a lot of old mill machinery liable to waste and be destroyed,” and to avoid loss he sold the saw to Louis Wetzel for $75.
Everything that could be salvaged was, T.S. Batson and Mark Russell bought 550 bricks from the old boiler at the mill.